Friday, January 18, 2008

That's Entertainment

There are so many good movies out now.  No Country for Old Men is fantastic.  It is perfection--well-acted, well-written and lovely to look at.  It's super-violent though, so you're warned.  The ingenuity of the main characters is fascinating and I've not been in such suspense since watching Wait Until Dark.  It's very macho.

I saw There Will Be Blood.  I'd have removed the last scene and played with the story a bit more although the acting was fantastic and cinematography was wonderful.  The soundtrack is exciting!  That was more innovative than the script.  I've a bias in enjoying the scenery--I'm Californian and have worked with environmental groups to preserve lakes and animals throughout the state.  I wished I could smell the sagebrush in Little Boston and walk through the stands of oak on the coast.  

I've seen Sweeny Todd--another gorgeous looking movie, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Michael Clayton, Before the Devil Knows Your Dead and several others.

Aside from the movie about Queen Elizabeth and Juno where are the movies about women? Where's my life up on the screen?  I suppose the answer is to write..I'm not on strike.  

Oh...I forgot Sex and the City will be in theaters at the same time I'll be celebrating my forty-ninth birthday.  I've always enjoyed watching that show--but it makes me want to drink and even when I was younger and cuter the opportunities to meet men weren't like in that show.  Also, I'm divorced and have kids and it's lightness somehow avoided, I think, the real confusion of what it means to be a woman today.  In the recent past women had no choice, for the most part, but to have a family.  Now it's a choice--but that doesn't make  the biological imperative disappear.  And the socialization factor that says we all must marry hasn't disappeared.  Sex and the City, to me, always seemed to be so much about expensive shoes and dining out.  That's not my story.  At least not yet!

No comments: