Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's Off to Work We Go

Last week was the first week back at work.  I teach middle school students in Los Angeles.  I feel like I never left--and yet I had three weeks off!

My job keeps me occupied.  The days go by fast.  It's fun to see kids learn.  The school district is a mess though.  I don't think my union is so hot either.  The children have the best energy in the place, with the exception of a few funny teachers.

Last week was a busy one after work as well--I got brakes for my car, had my teeth cleaned, went out with my kids, did some yoga and some therapy.

Thursday I picked up a copy of  Eat, Pray, Love  Elizabeth's Gilbert's bestseller.  She had a horrific divorce too.  It's a terrific book so far.  I'm just in Italy with her--eating along, learning a bit of Italian too.

There really isn't much to write here.  I won't expand on LAUSD or my union, UTLA.  The governor's announced severe cutbacks in the budget--It'll affect my job.  But one thing I've learned is that there is no value in thinking about such things except to consider preparation or options.  The union is asking for 9% raise, which is absurd under the circumstances.  I don't think I'll get a pay cut.  So there are no worries here.  None at all.

No comments: